Hi folks! As they say here in Norway, Velkommen til Norge — and welcome to my blog about learning to live in the land of the midnight sun. I’m Kimberly, by the way, and this is my hubby, Matthew. We’re expat Americans who originally expected to be here for a year… that has somehow stretched into two and will likely now be three. Not that we’re complaining, mind you. I can truly say it’s a gorgeous country and we’ve loved every minute. Okay, maybe not every minute — the winter cold and darkness can sometimes be a kick in the head — but I wouldn’t trade the experience for a three-year stint in the tropics.
So why’d I start a blog, when every other expat in Norway does the same thing? Well, there’s the obvious. It’s a great way to share my adventures with distant friends and family, who can be hard to keep in touch with due to that pesky time-zone thing. And of course, my blog is basically my diary, acting as a record of the great memories I hope to preserve. Not to mention that it’s a vehicle for reviewing the best sights, museums, and tourist experiences in Norway and around Europe — helpful for those of you who are looking for recommendations in preparation for an upcoming visit.
But above all, it’s a chance to dive deeper into the culture, examine my perceptions, and inhabit the experience to the fullest. So I hope you enjoy learning about living in Norway along with me, and I’m sure we’ll have a lot of laughs as our impressions of the people and country grow and change over time. (I’m a professional storyteller with a reputation for having oddball things happen to me, so I promise an amusing read.)
So how’d we end up in Norway, of all places? That’s a story better told in my “About” section. And in my earliest posts. Which brings me to wayfinding. Because some of you have already asked, here are a few tips to help you navigate the site:
- You can explore all my posts chronologically via the scrolling menu on the left side of the page (oldest posts on the bottom, newest up top.)
- Or for topical themes, check out the menu bar above.
- And remember, if you get lost, clicking on the title “A Newbie in Norway” (upper left corner) will always bring you back to my Homepage.
- Don’t forget to click on the photos and galleries for bigger views and captions.
- If you’ve enjoyed something you’ve read, feel free to “like” it or share it with others via your favorite social media (see the bottom of each page.)
- And if you really get hooked on my nutty adventures, be sure to enter your email address on the top left-hand side of the page and click on FOLLOW me. You’ll get an email notifying you of each new post.
Takk for lesing! (Thanks for reading!)